Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 1999 14:03:58 PDT
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hot rod Vanagon
Comments: To: Mikels1717@aol.com
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

Mike,

> I've been reading with some interest your posts on the vanagon website. Was > wondering do you have the stock injection setup? Where did you get the > adjustable fuel pressure regulater?

From CB Performance It is a 7161 dual diaphram pressure regulator cost is 79.95. I needed it to deliver fuel to the cylinders at a faster rate. I determined that the fuel was not getting to the cylinders fast enough. The engine made good power to 4000 rpms then dropped off, if I let it stay at 4000 rpms then accelerated, it would have power. I installed it with no changes and the mpg went up @2mpg and the power also increased.

>HOW did you get Webcam to grind a > performance grind on your cam? I talked to them about doing this on my motor > when I overhauled it and they absolutly refused. What >grind did they give you?

I talked to them several times for a long periods of time. I told them that I wanted a cam slightly larger than a stock cam BUT not too large. The problem was with the stock FI system.

We decided that the "91" grind on both intake and exhaust would be the best choice- small increase in duration @6 degrees with a increase of lift from .333 to .363.

I also planned to run 1.25 ratio rockers. The use of the ratio rockers helped to increase bottom end torque to offset the loss of torque by changing the duration and allow for more breathing at highter rpms. With a change in duration, the power band moves up the rpm range. Plus the lifters and valve train do not have to travel as far to obtain the additional lift increase, so reciprocal weight does not increase as much as with just going to a larger lift. Less were on cam lobes due to not as steep ramps. Valve is also let down "gentler" do to not having the ramps steeper

Will it pass smog? (I'm in Ca.)

I had it smogged before I put on the new AFM and it was .03% and 33 out of 220max.

>I agree with you about the wasserboxer > being able to make horsepower. I think people are just giving up too easy and > going the swap route.

I agree...

There's a place here in santa ana thats putting the > 44mm intake valves in the heads.

I put big valves into my 1641 dual port T1 engine and went from @40mpg to getting 20mpg.

It's fastgermanauto.com if your interested.

CB Performance has some of the same hop up parts for less $$

Are you currently building an engine or have you already built one?

Robert