Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:51:49 -0400
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator testing or battery kerplunky

Hi Volks,

This is a plea for help.

Battery was dead after van (91 Westy auto) sat for a week or two. Zero volts. Recharged, seemed fine. Week later with no driving, you guessed it: dead. Charged again, seemed cool. Voltmeter showed 12.71 today after some driving. Taking trip in a few days and went to get new battery because I thought maybe she is on a downhill run.

Enter "Advance Auto Parts" where manager put some contraption with leads on the battery. Battery has no date stamp, so service life unknown. He says battery fine, alternator bad. I asked how he could tell. Said "pulling a heavy load on it now, so alternator should be working better" or something to that effect. The van was idling. All he did was read the meter on his 'charger' looking apparatus. I asked if the alternator was doing anything, and he said 'its only putting about 50% of what it should." I did not buy a new battery.

The alternator light has not come on, and the van drives fine for as long as we want. Does not seem to be running out of charge.

Please hold sarcasm, Im not in the mood, and I do not have a local mechanic yet. Ken Wilford and all you guru's are nowhere near Georgia, so Im screwed . . .

What should I do?

many thanks

Kim Sawyer