Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 1999 18:01:24 -0700
From:         charles fladger <thefladge@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: DISASTER AT JIFFY LUBE!!!!
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

I make sure to never let anyone but me work on my cars. Unfortnunatly, I am unable to do my own smogs.

Many years ago, I took my 73 Bug to the Econo Lube and Tune in Garden Grove CA (GG Blvd and Brookhurst Way)because it needed to be smogged. When I got it back, it seemed to actually have more power, yet the engine sounded funny. The next day I drove out to Costa Mesa and it seemed to be running hot. I did not have any temp gauges so I did not know how hot.

On the way back home the oil light started flickering and I began to panic. When I got home, I looked over the engine top to bottom and discovered the problem. There was a piece of paper lodged in the cooling fan covering about 3/4 on the blades. This was no ordinary piece of paper. It was the work order to smog my car.

The extra power I felt was due to the fan blowing so little air (much like the effects of a power pulley). Needless to say, they denied any resposibility. Fortunately, the engine was not destroyed.

Charles

--- JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: > since i change my oil regularly, sometimes i just go > to a quick lube place, > and have it done...usually the ones where theres a > drive in bay, and just a > open pit in the floor. and i usually stand there > and watch the kid take off > the filter, and instruct him that if he strips the > threads in the drain plug > (bottom of case) - he will die :<) and then add the > oil myself (20-50 > synthetic) and theres never a prob. > > today was different.... > > i happened to be at the local sears...and they have > a new jiffylube franchise > that they opened in conjunction with the sears auto > center.. anyway, it's > all new, and the lifts are the above floor type, > with platforms that lift up, > that the car is driven up on. all the employees, > are new, and most of them > have names i cant pronounce. > > the first thing Julio (yes, that was his name on his > nametag) did was drive > the van ('84 vanagon) up on the lift platform FRONT > first, when the service > platform is in the front, since most cars are front > engined. > > that was bad omen #1. > > then i proceed to climb up the stairs of the > platform, and straddle the wheel > supports in the back, while the van is on the lift, > to get the hatch up, and > engine lid open to check the ATF. Julio asks me > what i'm doing, and then > says "oh! the engines in the back? that's wierd, > man" <----- that is a > direct quote.. scary huh? > > that was bad omen #2. i should have said lower the > van back down and got > the hell outta there...but i didnt.. > > then he drains the oil (almost takes off the wrong > drainplug) and removes > the filter, and reinstalls a new filter and the > drainplug. > > ok...so far, so good eh? not. > > so he starts lowering the van, so he can add oil, > since he drove it up on the > platform the wrong way.. > > i was looking the other way, then all the sudden i > hear all this yelling in > spanish.... > > i look back at my van - and it IS TILTED...WITH 3 > WHEELS ON THE > PLATFORM...AND THE WHOLE LEFT FRONT OF THE VAN IS > BEING HELD UP BY THE > DRIVERS DOOR!!! > > the MORON left the drivers door open when he lowered > it! the door got > caught on the platform, and lifted the front of the > van up.... > > > at this point, i am livid.. the door frame is > bent...and the door wont > close..at all... > > julio, scared that he is gonna get sh*t canned, then > lowers the van all the > way to the floor, and hops in, and holds the door > while backing the van off > the platform.... > > WITHOUT ANY OIL IN IT. > > at this point, i am ready to beat the krap out of > this guy.. out comes the > supervisor...and he assures me that i will be fully > compensated for any > damages, and it will be repaired > completely.....after a bunch of yelling... > > after filling out some accident reports, and adding > the oil, the supervisor > hands me a bunch of free jiffy lube coupons...i dont > think i'll be needing > those... and drove home with the seatbelt holding > the drivers door > closed...... > > makes you think twice before you leave your van in > someone elses hands... > > chris >