Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:01:14 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      The *un-repair* shops. Was: DISASTER AT JIFFY LUBE!!!! (long)

Dread Mr Badwrench garage inspecting you Westy?

"However, at one particular shop when I was at the service desk paying I was hearing the garage bay door going down. Then BANG, rattle, and it sounded like the door turned direction."

Full story:

I do all my repairs myself and if I had a choice I'd never let an arbitrary "mech" touch my Westy, however according to the state law it has to be inspected once a year by someone supposedily more qualified to do so myself. Now making sure cars are roadworthy is a good idea. The problem is the "qualified" part doesn't always seem to hold in practice.

Here's the scenario, which repeats itself with small variations every year:

1st stop: The lady at the service desk.

Me: "I'd like to have my car inspected. I have an appointment for this morning." Her: "Ok, name? Make, year... of vehicle" etc.. (fill in service request for the inspection)

Here's where the first challenge comes. After the key word "state inspection" has been entered on the service request along with some useful info as well as irrelevant data, but that still has to be filled in, the service desk lady typically expects me to surrender my keys and quietly dissappear. Well, I have other plans.

Me: Who's going to inspect my vehicle? Her: One of our qualified mechanics. Me: Well, which one? Has he worked Diesels before? VW's? Her: All our mechanics are qualified to work on all cars and engine types. Me: Well, I'd like to speak to him before...

At this point varying amounts of of persuasion is needed to convince the desk lady that I actually won't leave before seeing the mechanic. Eventually though, the effects of historical male dominance and oppression makes her give in and she goes to find the mechanic.

Scene2 (Me and mechanic at service desk):

Me: "Have you worked on Diesels before? VW's?" Mechanic: "Yep. All of them." I proceed to go through the points to be checked on the NY state inspection, and exactly how to apply it to the Vanagon. Me: "Do you know how to start a Diesel?" Mechanic: "Sure" I describe the glow plug and cold timing advance routine. (My inspection is up in Jan each year, and this is Upstate NY)

At this point I sometimes try to (more or less successfully, usually less) have the mechanic tell me the procedures he's just about to do. Then hand over the keys.

Scene 3 (Me and the service desk lady): (1-2h or so) later at the agreed on pick-up time

Me: Is my Westy ready? Her: Looking puzzled. Never heard that car type before. Me: Show my copy of the service request. Her: Oh, .... Please sit in the waiting room over there. It will be done in a minute.

I walk over to the waiting room. Look out through the window into the service bays. Can't see my Westy in any of them. Oh well, either they just finished it and are parking it outside (wishful thinking, or (more commonly)...

Scene 4 (15 min later in the waiting room)

Mechanic comes in: "Your van don't work. It won't start." Me: "You waited for the plugs and pulled the advance handle?" Mechanic looks puzzled. Me: "Well, lets go and have a look at it"

We go to the parking lot where the van is parked exactly as I left it some hours ago, apparently not having moved.

Mechanic: "I cranked it several times, but it wouldn't catch."

I go in and try. Battery is absolutely dead. (Even though the Diesel starter requires more than twice the current of a gas starter, there's enough for some minutes of cranking -- more than you want to expose the starter to)

Me: "You discharged the battery. Did you wait for the glow plugs then pull the cold start timing advance handle and crank." (I show the sequence again.)

Mechanic: "Ah, thats the choke. You didn't tell me that its a manual choke. Me: Well, it's not exactly a choke. Diesels don't have chokes. (If they did have chokes they could not be started at all.)

Me: "We have to jump start it. You got a charged battery with better than 500CCA?"

Mechanic goes in and brings out one of those $99 toy jumpstarters with an inky dinky battery in it.

Me: "That's not going to start it. We need a real battery"

Here evidently historical Swedish dominance and authority in northern Europe during the 15 and 1600's fails to have had any impression on this generation-X-er. We have to try the routine with the toy jumpstarter. As predicted, this fails to turn the Diesel over. After more discussion the mech is persuaded to bring a *big* battery. THis usually means drive up the largest American iron that is currently moving in the shops fleet.

After a bit of pre-charging of the van battery the Diesel starts fine. Here I always make sure to use the temporary psychological advantage, and myself drive the van into the service bay.

Scene 5 (In the service bay)

This is a short scene. Sooner or later the service manager is going to come by and spot me. However, it is good to try to stay at least until they get it up on the lift to verify that they use the lift points or if the lift beams don't reach, at least put some wood between the lift and the frame rails. Also make sure they don't crush the propane tank on the Westy.

Service manager: "Customers are not allowed in the service bays" Me: "I would like to watch while my Westy is being inspected" Service manager: "The garage floor is dangerous and only professionals can be here. You have to watch through the window in the waiting room" If that fails to get me out the next argument is inevitably that their insurance company don't allow customers on the floor. (The power of authority)

Before leaving I remind the mech that the Westy is tall and don't lift it so high that the roof hits something. (Many garage lifts have a crossbeam above them)

Scene 6 (Me in the waiting room)

I'm anxiously peering though the window into the garage bays. Given the previous hours events I know something is likely to happen. For some reason the mech seem to prefer to work on the other side of the van, so it's not easy to see what's going on.

A bad sign (but which unfortunatley commonly happens) is to see the van lowered about halfway, especially if several of the mechs have gathered around it and there's lots of hammering, swearing and jumping going on.

By now the desk lady has usually realized that resistance is futile, and resigns herself to an angry look as I forge my way past her on my way to the garage bays.

Scene 7 (In the service bay)

The mech is alternatly hammering and jumping on a big-$%^&$%@ 2" wrench (No 46mm metric available) put on my rear axle nut. This is not good. The hand brake is not strong enough to absorb the shocks, and since the Westy is half lifted there's not ground contact to do it either. The result is that the hammer blows are being jerked through the CV's and tranny, and if the tranny is in gear dissipated as energy in the clutch. Not good for the CV's and gears.

I ask: "Trying to remove the brake drum?" Mechanic: "This &%**&^% nut won't come off!" Me: "You don't need to take off the axle nut to remove the drum" Mechanic is puzzled again. Me: "Back off the adjuster and give the drum a light whack to break the bond and it will come right off" (I keep the two tiny drum bolts off. It's held by the wheel and lug nuts anyway) Me: "If you only want to see the lining thickness just take out the small rubber plug in the backing plate and look through the hole" Mechanic: "How the &%$&#@% should I know that. &%$&#@%ing japs" Me: Quitely considering if a geography lesson is worthwhile.

At this point the Service manager and mechs are usually embarrassed enough to let me stay for the rest of the inspection, sometimes even let me do it myself while pointing out what I'm doing to the mech. The rest of the inspection usually goes smoothly.

Scene 7 (Back behind the service desk)

When done a sticker has to be issued, and the sticker number entered in the ledger together with my vehicle data. I notice that the computer or someone has added in the emmisions inspection fee.

Me: "There shouldn't be an emmissions fee." The desk lady: "All cars have to be emmissions inspected" Me: "My car is a Diesel. Diesels are exempt in Upstate"

By this time shes sick of me and is not going to argue with me again. She goes in and fetches a suitclad type from the office. (accountant? the boss? I don't know)

Me: "There was no emmissions inspection performed. Please take off the fee" Suit: "All cars are emmision tested. That's the law" Me: "This is a Diesel. You don't even have a sniffer for Diesels" Suit: (Somehow seems aware of this embarrassing fact. Perhaps he was the one nixing the investment in this expensive piece of equipment) Suit: "The mech still has to check that all the EPA required emmission parts are there"

(Now you should know that there are no emmission parts to check on the 82-83 VW Diesel. It passed the EPA regulations without any extra stuff. In addition I have never seen the mechs open the engine lid during an inspection anyway.)

At this point I'm so tired of arguing, and would be happy if I could just get my sticker. (I've actually once managed to get the inappropriately added gas emmissions fee refunded, but it wasn't worth the trouble)

Most times the rest of the procedure is the uneventful parting between me and my money so I receive the now stickered Westy, and the Westy will be safely in my own hands for another year before the next dreadful inspection adventure.

However, at one particular shop when I was at the service desk paying I was hearing the garage bay door going down. Then BANG, rattle, and it sounded like the door turned direction. Well something must have happened, but nobody said anything, so in a few minutes I finished my business and got my keys back.

Out in the parking lot I saw the reason for the bang. The mech had been backing out as the garage door was lowering. The garage door had made a good size dent in the rear hatch pillar from the mech backing into it as he backed out, and then scraped off more paint when it reversed and was going upward.

I darted in again, mighty upset. The desk lady and the suit looked dissaprovingly at me, but eventually got the mech. He tried to maintain that nothing had happened and at least he hadn't noticed anything happening. After an inspection in the parking lot it was pretty obvious what had happened and there was no denying any more.

Needless to say I've not been back to that place. The reason I started going there in the first place was that the first few times they would just take a quick look while I was in th parking lot and then issue the inspection sticker. -- This seemed like a good way of getting the sticker, while keeping any incompetent "wrenches" off. However, NY state clamped down and shops, incompetent or not, had to look as if they were fiddeling for a while to not get caught by the state inspectors.

The other shops I've used haven't crashed the Westy against anything (yet), but the starting debacle, the brake drum, and a whole host of other similar events reiterate themselves year after year.

/Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.yale.edu/~jag/vw/forsale.html

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------