Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Jul 1999 00:48:06 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: drooping wiper blade
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

At 19:13 7/2/99 -0700, Davidson wrote: >Any suggestions for adjusting a drooping wiper blade? >My passenger side blade droops down onto the lower windshield seal. >I tried adjusting it outside where the arm mounts to the shaft, but it keeps >drooping down.

Hi Bill -- This is the same as the Japanese cars use, if my memory isn't fooling me. The shaft is splined with very thin sharp tapered splines, and the head of the arm is made of/filled with pot metal. A new one is smooth, and as you tighten the nut the splines bite into the soft pot metal. If something forcibly torques this joint -- either the arm is stuck to the windshield or something forces it externally -- it's designed to shear out the pot metal to save the rest of the mechanism. Now, the problem is that at this point all the little splines on the shaft are full of pot metal, so it doesn't bite in properly. But there's plenty of metal on the arm to do this a number of times, it's still fine. You have to use a pick of some sort to clean the metal from between the splines on the shaft, then bolt the arm on firmly again to make new splines in the soft metal. And you should be set. You can take it off and inspect the arm to see if you brought it down firmly enough, but I think you can tell while tightening it. It will get very firm but still turn for a turn or two, then tighten up fairly quickly. You need to be firm and get it to bite, but of course you don't want to twist the threads off the shaft unless you like taking dashboards off. :-/

Hope this helps david David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net