Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:47:39 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Sportsmobile
Comments: To: "M.R. Nimmo" <mrnimmo@YAHOO.COM>

I saw one of these up in Oregon while on my recent camping trip. There is also one here in Santa Barbara. Both use Ford vans, and are HUGE, with very nice, spacious interiors. I stopped and talked to the guy in Oregon, who had JUST gotten his and was embarking on his maiden voyage. I was enthralled by the thought that he essentially had a non-VW Syncro Westy on major steroids (460 cu inch V8) and was able to pull a really nice custom trailer with all their gear in a locked compartment, PLUS 4 mountain bikes and 4 kayaks. Wow. I got a brochure that he had (that's how new it was - he was still carrying brochures). I'm with you, though - the depreciation has got to be a killer. I think the 4 X 4 conversion alone is about $8,000 plus the cost of the RV conversion.

Incidentally, I think Sportsmobile's first conversion was a '61 T2 bus... Anyone out there ever owned one (VW or other)?

Brent Christensen '89 Syncro Westy "Klaus" '95 Cherokee Sport

----- Original Message ----- From: M.R. Nimmo <mrnimmo@YAHOO.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 24, 1999 3:41 PM Subject: Sportsmobile