Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:54:10 -0400
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: synthetic auto trans change, goodies
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

Just used my new AT seal and screen kit from Ken Wilfy yesterday evening. Cleanest, smoothest changing of ATF ever for me. The "Meistersatz" parts kit is excellent quality and I was impressed by the intricacies of the fine mesh screen filter.

My fluid was only slightly discolored on the 91 Westy with about 80K. There was settling of fine particulates in the pan, which I wiped out with napkins, discarding each as they were soaked. I do not have a parts washer. I carefully removed all observable lint type particles or dust, or hair that happened to be floating around in the north Georgia air and found their way to the pan.

Refilling was done was Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. 2.5 quarts appeared to be just right, as the manual says.

I should have consulted The List prior for approval on the synth. Hope there are no side effects . . . .

After test driving the van, it seems quite happy with the new slicky lube.

My other goodies from Ken included: new belts (all fit perfectly and are happily in place) fuel line kit for engine (haven't quite had the guts to complete this one) fuel filter (the original appeared to still be on the van) fuel tank overflow hose (fuel tank leak on fill up CURED) could be a separate post later! Had to order most of that from VW dealer in Dalton, GA, Al Johnson Volkswagen -- good dealer front brake pads (to do list)

So thats what's been happening here on the home scene

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, you deserve it

HKS