Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jul 1999 12:30:14 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Trouble in Turboland. or...  drain line woe's

Perform the following simple experiment: Take a long narrow soda straw. Fill it with a combination of air bubbles and water/Bier/soda or whatever.

Case 1: Hold the straw above the glass.

Case 2: Submerge the bottom of the straw straw in the liquid in a glass.

In which case is the flow the best?

This experiment in mostly relevant at startup, where it takes a while for the oil pump to biuld up pressure, and shutdown, where the turbo will keep spinning for a while after oil pressure has gone down.

/martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.yale.edu/~jag/vw/forsale.html

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------