Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Jul 1999 23:50:21 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <dkatsuki@WORLD.STD.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Vanagon power loss
Comments: To: john schaper <tahljohn@NETSCAPE.NET>

Another thing to try is the distributor rotor arm. They have a resistor which gets burned out, especially the non-Bosch ones. I had one go on a cross country trip and was mystified for many miles by low power, occasional bcking, and rotten gas mileage. (Then was frustrated trying to find a rotor in Montana...) Bentley has resistance measurements for the rotor and the ignition harness. Now I always carry a spare rotor and cap.

Dave 87 Wolfsburg 90 Westfalia

At 08:06 PM 7/4/99 -0700, john schaper wrote: >I have been reading the archives trying to find a fix my problem >on a 85 vanagon 1.9 which started about a month ago. About >60 miles from town the van started surging and progressively >got worse. I turned around and had to go up mountains with >about 4,000 foot vertical--I eventually downshifted to 2nd >and crawled at 20-30 mph. Once the engine cools the problem >disappears until it warms up--ie.2-3 miles or 5-10 minutes. > >This has been my problem solving so far. > >1. AFM is about 4 months old--rebuild bosch. >2. O2 sensor is about 4 months old. >3. Replaced Temp Sensor II--no affect on problem >4. Looked at catalytic converter today--it is OK. >5. Went to Bentley's and did the multimeter checks, for > the fuel injection system, Section 24, I think, > things looked OK, but on the ECU plug the ohms for > the temp sensor I was extremely low, although at > pin 2 and 4 on the sensor itself, the ohms were > within limits. >6. I also installed the "magic harness" which did not > solve the problem. > >I would love to find the "magic bullet" to solve the problem. > >Can anyone give me any advice? > > >____________________________________________________________________ >Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at >http://webmail.netscape.com.