Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:40:01 -0400
From:         Caston/Payne <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Vanagon power loss
Comments: To: john schaper <tahljohn@NETSCAPE.NET>

Sounds like its running rich. Like the ECU thinks it's still "cold".

>2. O2 sensor is about 4 months old.

Generic or specific O2 sensor? If its a generic, make absolutely sure that your splice is a good one (solder is better). I put a generic on mine and about 3 months later went to the non-splice version and it helped a bunch. Only about $30 difference on our 85's as we have the single wire type. Ken just wrote something on this issue. And one other thing. If you do not have the factory connector on you O2 sensor between the sensor and ECU wiring harnes, make sure that the sheilding foil of the green (i think) wire isn't coming in contact with to core of the wire. This causes a bad signal to the ECU as well. This is apparently a very small coaxial type of wire and some folks just strip it, twist toghether and go; but this "grounds out" that circut and the signal can't get to the ECU.

>3. Replaced Temp Sensor II--no affect on problem make sure that the contact within the connectors is good. On mine I had this problem and a couple of downward tweaks on the contact pins of the sensor improved the contact between the pins of the sensor and harness and fixed the problem.

>5. Went to Bentley's and did the multimeter checks, for > the fuel injection system, Section 24, I think, > things looked OK, but on the ECU plug the ohms for > the temp sensor I was extremely low, although at > pin 2 and 4 on the sensor itself, the ohms were > within limits. For Temp I, pins to check are 14 and 6 with ambient air temp inside AFM around 68 degrees and read 2300-2700 ohms. This could be a faulty wire or just a loose connection within the harness. Push slightly downward (or upward) to improve the contact and see if you get good reading on the harness now. Never heard of much trouble with temp I's though.

For Temp II at 68 degrees you should get reading of 2300-2700 ohms at pins 2 and 7. Hope this helps,

Dave & Sherrie Williamsburg, VA zzzzzzzzzz__ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _DC&SP | _ || * * * =-( )---------( )--=

This note contains 100% recycled electrons