Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 1999 21:38:38 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Q - Best cover for Westy?
Comments: To: "jbrush@AROS.NET" <jbrush@AROS.NET>

I know this is cheap and cheesy, which is not normally my style, but I thought I should pass it on under the "car cover" discussion.

A few months ago, I was in the local Cary, NC Advance Auto Parts store, where they have a "Reduced for Quick Sale" table. You are familiar with these: covered with hundreds of stinky coconut air fresheners, tiny 1oz bottles of Armor All, and single packages of ugly plastic wheel covers. To my surprise, under the table was a car cover, HUGE in package, and small in price. It was a "Size J"-fits big vans like the Fard Aerostar, Dodedge Caravan Extended, etc.

Thinking to myself about our beloved White 1982 Westy baking in the 140 degree NC sun I thought, Hmmmmmmmmmmm, what if THAT car cover could fit OUR Westy...price as marked, $39.00, down from $99.00 marked down from $169.00. The cover had obviously been out of the box at least once, (like someone tried it on their van, and it didn't fit?). So I says to the Manager, who just happens to speak English like me, "I'll give you $20 for that car cover, and if it doesn't fit, I won't bring it back" He says, "Arecht meng farlla tiles," which mean "okay" in a language I just made up.

It fits like a glove. Well sorta. It fits sorta like the way that OJ made the bloody glove fit by spreading out his fingers to trick the jurors. Stupid jurors. The glove fit fine and yet now he is playing golf...Anyway, the car cover covers end to end perfectly, but only comes down to the top of the tail lights in back, and the bottom of the turn signals up front. Looks kinda like a lady in a short halter top...the wheels and bumpers show.

It is made out of Blue "Evolution 3" fabric, which means nothing to me, other than the fact it keeps the van dry when it rains, but doesn't trap moisture underneath. I have to put the antenna down and fold in the mirrors to use it. For $20, I can't complain. Don't expect me to build a website about it. :) Check the "Reduce for Quick Sale" table near you.

Cheers.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: John Brush [SMTP:jbrush@AROS.NET] Sent: Monday, July 05, 1999 8:00 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Q - Best cover for Westy?

>> Anyone have a suggestion for a good cover for a Westy? It needs to be >> "weather proof" since Klaus will be spending some time outside this >> summer...

Rocky Mountain Motorworks lists their premium cover at $239

I have thought about getting one, as it looks to be waterproof and has all the high end ratings.

I often wonder how such a cover goes on a van with an antenna tho?

Who is using a cover, and how does it go on over the antenna??

Best Regards,

John