Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jul 1999 20:46:37 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: fridge fan fuse
Comments: To: Caston/Payne <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM>

Dave, I don't see where you posted the year of your van. That's always a good idea since some of the stuff varies from one year to another and you can be getting the right advice for the wrong year. Anyway, this is how I see it for my 90 Westy Syncro: I tested the stock Dometic fan at 220mv. So if it ran for 24 hours it would draw your battery down by 5.28 amp hours. If it ran for only 8 hours a day, it would draw your battery down by 12.32 amp hours over 7 days. That's probably not enough to kill your starter battery, but it does shorten its life some. Especially so since starter batteries were not designed for that kind of load. In addition every time you start your engine there is poisonous gas emitted from the battery as it charges. On the whole this fan running day after day in hot climates in not a good thing. Yes you can just pull the fuse behind the driver's seat. Shouldn't hurt a thing. Or you could plug your battery into a trickle charger when you park it for long periods of time to keep your battery topped off. (This keeps it topped off from leakage other than your fridge fan too.) Have fun, Bill 90 Westy Synco

-----Original Message----- From: Caston/Payne <happycampers@PICUSNET.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, July 05, 1999 5:01 PM Subject: fridge fan fuse

Just walked outside to put some stuff in Vinnie and the fridge thermoswitched fan is running. Don't know for how long but given the temps here on the east coast it has prolly been running all day!

Any opinion on whether or not it is ok to remove the fuse that powers (indirectly) the fridge thermoswitched fan? It's 110š (w/heat index) and I'm wondering if that little fan is running down my battery! I'm traveling next week and don't want any dead batteries!

Bently indicates that fuse S23 (8A) is indirectly responsible for power. Where is this fuse? Is it one of the two behind my drivers seat? Or is it behind the display on the cabinet? Will removing it until the heat abates destroy any vital (or not so vital) components? Later,

Dave & Sherrie Williamsburg, VA zzzzzzzzzz__ |E[__] [__]|[_]\\ | _DC&SP | _ || * * * =-( )---------( )--=