Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 00:11:28 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: fridge fan fuse
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>

At 20:46 7/5/99 -0700, Davidson wrote: >I tested the stock Dometic fan at 220mv.

Bill, the fan in the RM182B is rated at 0.7 watts, or 58 milliamps. That's also what mine measured several years ago. That would cut the consumption down to just under 1.5 amp-hours per 24 hours, or about 10 amp-hours per week, run continuously (3 1/3 AH at 8 hours/day). If yours is actually drawing 220 ma, I wonder if it's jammed or internally shorted, or not the original fan. Mine croaked, btw, and I just replaced it with a Fridgemate fan that draws about 90 ma (and pumps more air). 200+ ma would be about right for a computer power-supply fan or similar...

>Yes you can just pull the fuse behind the driver's seat. Shouldn't hurt a >thing.

Are you sure? I don't have any specific knowledge, but that fan is set to come on when the ammonia-vapor cooling fins hit 140 degrees F. at the outside of the topmost fin (so the vapor would actually be quite a bit hotter than that, as the fins have a surprisingly small contact with the vapor tube). Disabling the fan will certainly make the refrigerator perform badly, but might it also damage the cooling system? I'm guessing it will not, but I have enough doubt to not want to risk it.

regds david

David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net