Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 07:18:42 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 GL AC Convert advice
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>

Marshall's reply below is dead-center accurate on what you need to do to convert your AC to R-134, or even to service it for long-term reliability.

The refrigeration process is far more complicated and finicky than most other things on the vehicle. It relies on compressing, condensing, pumping, evaporating and ventilating a specific chemical, under very stringent and specific conditions of pressure, moisture content, and cleanliness. Any deviation from those very specific conditions, and the system will not function as well, and will certainly not function for long. Tinkering invites failure here.

While you *CAN* achieve some cooling for a while by simply "bleeding off" the R-12 (discussion of impact to the atmosphere omitted), then simply "refilling" with R-134, I would suggest this is like many other things in life that you *CAN* do, like live for a month by eating only locusts, or survive a trip over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

Take it to an AC tech who knows his stuff, and you won't regret it for a minute. There is nothing better than getting in a car when it is 105 outside, and having 38 degree air (my Jetta does this).

Cheers.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Marshall Ruskin [SMTP:mruskin@PANGEA.CA] Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 1999 1:58 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 85 GL AC Convert advice

Hi Brian: I'm in the process of using such a kit now. I've learned that it's not as simple to do PROPERLY as the kits say. Here's what the A/C techs (licensed Journeymen) at work have done (so far...). 1. Tested the R12 system pressure prior to doing anything (low); 2. PUMPED out the old R12 for safe recovery 3. Pulled a hard vacuum, and applied high pressure (nitrogen) to test for leaks, (found none); 4. Drained oil from compressor (and put a new head on, but that's another story); 5. Blew out all other remaining system oil with nirogen; 6. Removed and replaced Receiver-dryer with a new one; 7. Replaced all O-rings prior to installation of components; 8. Redid vaccuum tests - found a leak - could not hold vaccuum for proper length of time.

That's where we're at now - they suspect it needs a small amount of oil and r-134 to make the seals function properly. Stay Tuned! Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy Auto, A/C Auto