Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:06:32 -0700
From:         "R.Joseph Murphy" <joseppi@THE-SPA.COM>
Subject:      Audi 5-cly turbo diesel Vanagon- on it's way to Alaska

Listmembers,

Yes, Audi 5-cly turbo diesel. Just finished the installation on Sunday leaving to Alaska for 2 months this wendesday. First, the installation is a lot of work, not for the faint hearted. Second, god it's fun. Driveability and power are better than I expected. Presently using a transmission from a '80 aircooled to get the highway milage (read shouldn't last long). Passat 15" steel rims with 205/70 continentals load rating D - highway tires made for the EV. Lowered the engine 2" so the engine compartment lid would close. The taller tires raise it back up just a hair less than 2". Exaust- fashioned a 2 1/2" stainless steel exaust with an immediatly sweeping back elbow then into a free flow muffler. Intake is also as freeflowing and direct. Hooked up the standard glow plug system. New everything brake lines, rotors, CV joints, wheel bearings, radiator tubes and whatever else you can think of.

2cent section: Detlev and Ken provided direction through conversation early on, Thank you. Both seem more shifted to the gas application, not needing to brake up a gas installation package for a engine carrier and adaption brackets. It's how they make thier money, this is absolutely fine. Helmut's web page has a few pictures of his engine carrier. I taped a copy to the vanagon and then started bending,welding, grinding and painting. So, I believe the ideal motor application at this time is the TDI. Easier to bolt in, parts accessability will be easier to describe at the parts counter, newer and more powerful. This said I paid $300 for a whole vehical with a rebuilt motor plus another complete TD motor. not $3000 or so for a TDI. I might wait till they come down in price but there is a significant chance that this motor is and will be more than enough (considering it starts in the winter) for the job. What more do I need? The 5-cly is a bulletproof engine with TLC should run forever.

By the way, bet this would work absolutely wonderfully in an automatic.

So the test is- back and forth to Alaska from Massachusetts. When I return I can put a few installation sets together should there be a need.

Best to all,

joseph

'85 5-cly turbo diesel vanagon