Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:55:59 EDT
From:         Rolf Pechukas <GREATCLOD@AOL.COM>
Subject:      82 diesel overheating

dear listees: persistent cooling problem in 82 vanagon diesel history: bought the beast this spring not running because of overheating PO diagnosed, maybe wrongly: head gasket eventually replaced head (old one was cracked and warped), gasket, belts, thermostat, etc did NOT do the water pump (false economy) ran fine and cool for one week? two? then overheat etc same thing over and over traced it to persistent air in system from leaky tube from expansion tank to overflow reservoir and me not knowing how to fill/bleed system as I understand the system NOW, EVERYTHING needs to be totally filled and air-free you top up the system at the OVERFLOW behind the licence plate DON'T break the vaccuum or introduce air at the expansion tank as coolant cools and contracts more coolant is drawn into the system from the overflow is this right? overheated again a month ago, this time brought it to a shop, they tried to clear the system, apparently cleaned out a lot of oil from a previous head gasket breach (!), but could not get the radiator circulating well finally I bought a new radiator [from bus depot, reasonable price (best I could find) and quality seems good] again hunky dory for couple weeks today was running so cool and sweet even in this hundred plus heat, but bang without warning, red light pulled over, the hose was blown off reservoir cap (served me right for using cheap vinyl) steam shooting out, etc thing is, I don't know if hose blew off because of overheating or if hose blew off from not being tight enough and coolant ran out from normal pressure at speed and loss of coolant caused overheat anyway, refilled everything, new hose, running fine again BUT does this sound like more than air in system to anybody? the warnings about water pump blade deterioration etc and the symptom of radiator not getting normally hot sound familiar... mech's original thought was thermostat, but that was brand new and when I did the head (the old) radiator was getting hot uniformly hmmm other misc questions/observations: few weeks ago had it idling for about 45 minutes at construction site after dark so I could use headlights (this is right after new radiator went in so felt confident) kept going back to check temp, was fine fine fine then woops! red light, shut down etc - attributed that to air bubble...? also: upper hose from expansion tank fits over a fat rubber nipple that seems designed to constrict flow - opening is tiny when it exists at all today I slid a little catheter made out of a ball point pen body in there to make sure it could flow some what is this fitting supposed to look like??? I remember reading something somewhere about a 3mm constrictor - is this it? the current one looks juryrigged by PO (is it jury or jerry? or jeri?) also: replaced upper (low speed) fan sender with one from a rabbit cause I busted one of the tabs off of the original one is this a fair trade? fan goes on when I short across the two terminals but I don't hear it going on any other time, even when it overheats could THIS have something to do with my predicament (duh)? (note: I do believe the rabbit sender worked for a while) also: instead of the fan going on and staying on occasionally like you would expect even when you shut down the engine, something else seems to be turning on and off sporadically - some small electric motor in right rear quarter of vehicle, up underneath too crazybusy to really look for it mech thought it was a fuel pump - is that possible? never noticed hearing it before the mysterious fan disappearance ALSO: (and unrelated to cooling system, I think) my timing belt doesn't seem to be tracking properly - even though all the pulleys and wheels seem to be perfectly aligned when I eyeball the belt path, the belt runs @ 1/8" toward the REAR of the vehicle, and the edge of the belt has been worn away by the raised flanges of the tensioner and crank pulleys mech said replace tensioner - I do have a new tensioner pulley, but before I replace belt and have it do same thing over again, thought I would ask anyone ever seen this before? that's about it (I love my rig and wouldn't trade it for anything except a 99 european cargovan w/ poptop and TDI... looked for a diesel for 3 years before I found this and I want to do everything I can for it) thanks for any feedback Rolf 82 diesel (I understand why you guys name these things) by the way: my current trial and error low tech method for filling cooling system: detach expansion tank cap and upper hose from expansion tank (the one on the constrictor) slip into the hose you removed a tight-fitting hose attached to a funnel so that funnel is higher than top of radiator fill gradually, letting all the air come up out of the block and head through funnel block constrictor(?) on expansion tank, continue filling to top of expansion tank replace cap and full hose from full overflow, remove upper fan sender on radiator, continue filling till coolant starts coming out of sender hole, replace sender, open bleed nipple, continue filling till coolant starts coming out, close nipple, fill funnel one last time, superquickunblockconstrictorpulloutfunneland hoseslambackhose on expansion tank, tighten everything up so far this is the best way I have found to eliminate air in system is this acceptable? no success with bleeding the Bently way can't get engine to hold at @ 2000 RPM - injection pump seems to want to race above a certain setting, and I don't think it's burning oil oh, that's another thing: sticking accelerator, and it's not the cable, it's something mechanical in the pump, you can feel it when you manually rotate the lever arm - I ran 25$ fuel pump cleaner through the pump AND some Stanadyne fuel conditioner - that seemed to almost fix it for about a day - still better but sometimes still sticky - feels like the arm/pillar/spring needs lubrication and I want to spray some kind of heavy duty gum dissolver down in there do I (hope hope not) need to rebuild pump? thanks again