Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:10:22 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Towing a Vanagon
Comments: To: Alain Thibault <alain@INTERGATE.BC.CA>

First, let us assume that you do not have a Syncro. If you do, remove the center driveshaft prior to any lengthy or fast towing.

Your 91 should have the fiberglass bumper covers. Remove these by taking out a few simple bolts (hidden under some plastic caps, if I remember correctly). You will then see a mammoth closed box frame steel member which is the real front bumper. (This bumper is the same for all Vanagons, regardless of the outer bumper or year.)

It conveniently has 2 sets of holes about 2/3 of the way out from the center, one set on each side. The holes are about 2 1/2 inches apart. If you get the right size u-bolt and run it through each set of holes, you can then attach a tow bar to the u-bolts. Be sure to use hardware adequately sized for the job.

I have towed this way several times, with the caveat that the tow bar I bought from U-Haul didn't open wide enough to reach the u-bolts. You can then either modify the tow bar so that it opens wider, or else (much harder) fabricate a flat steel bar with 2 sets of holes so that the u-bolts fit into the outer holes and the tow bar fits into the inner holes. I chose the steel bar route, but I would suggest the tow bar modification as a much easier technique.

Once you have worked out the tow bar arrangement, you are almost ready to go. Get a set of trailer lights (about $ 20 from U-Haul) and wire them up to a standard trailer light plug.

If you don't want to use a tow bar, you can use a 2 wheel tow dolly, which you can rent. The only problem with that is cost and the extra weight.

It is important that the towing vehicle be heavier than the towed vehicle. If not, you will develop a bad case of rear end sway at highway speed. (BTDT) Remember that even if you have enough power and weight to tow adequately, your brakes will be way undersized, so drive defensively.

If you use a tow bar, please remember to put the key in the ignition of your towed van and turn it just enough to unlock the steering wheel. If you forget this, it creates an interesting set of skid marks as you drag the front wheels through all of your turns. It is also prudent to remove the keys when you leave the van (such as at a gas station or other stop). Otherwise anyone can drive off in your van by simply loosening a few bolts.

You can then tow any distance you wish. I have towed a 91 Carat for 1500 miles (using a GMC pick up as the tow vehicle), and a 84 GL parts van 1000 miles behind my 86 Syncro. Both tows went quite uneventfully.

Good luck.

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky Blue Waters)