Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jul 1999 06:32:52 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: CV Joint advice
Comments: To: "Oxroad@aol.com" <Oxroad@aol.com>

If you disassemble the CV's, you will note that about 60% of the wear occurs on the machined grove of the outer ring, about 35% on the inner ring, and the ball shows a little wear. You will also note, (here's the important point), that the wear on the outer groove is consistently on ONE side of the groove...the "driven" side of the groove, while the wear on the inner ring is also consistently on ONE side of the groove on the "driving" side of the groove. The other side of the groove is relatively untouched, having been employed only on deceleration.

By putting the driver's side axle on the passenger side, and vice versa, you reverse the wear surface being used. The part that had been used during acceleration and running is now resting peacefully, and the side that had been used only for deceleration is now employed as the moving surface.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Oxroad@aol.com [SMTP:Oxroad@aol.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 12:58 AM To: gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com Subject: Re: CV Joint advice

> put the axles on the > other side.

GM--

Since I've got my axels off as we "speak" I'm curious what you mean. Do you mean swap the axel from one side to the other? And if so what's the advantage?

I need to replace 2 CVs of the four--the balls are pretty badly galled. Ordered the new CVs from the bus depot today for about $45 a piece. They're so inexpensive I'm slightly nervous. But I've had only good experiences with bus depot so I'll see when they arrive.

But I'm curious about this axel swapping.

TIA Jeff 83.5 Westy NYC