Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jul 1999 00:07:34 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replacement propane tank
Comments: To: "Jason M. Yasment" <vanagon@NYCAP.RR.COM>

At 22:14 7/1/99 -0400, Jason M. Yasment wrote: > What exactly is the capacity on the propane tank on our westfalis?

Nominal ten pounds or three gallons, filled to 80% of "water capacity." Mine holds 2.8 gallons when dry.

> If >it is nothing spectacular (10 lbs +), wouldn't it make sense to get an >adapter to run a 20lb bottle or even just the small 1lb bottles?

Well, as to the fourteen ounce bottles, even at $1.39 each thats about $15 for ten pounds, vs five and change for the bulk fill.

> With the >cost of a replacement tank, the safety issue of driving around with >pressurized propane, wouldn't make sense to swap over to a more common and >removable container?

The fixed tanks meet the standards of the ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) which are much more rigorous than the DOT standards that the BBQ tanks meet. That's why the BBQ tanks have to be recertified every twelve years, and the ASME tanks don't. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ten lb. Westy tank weighed as much as or more than a 20 lb DOT tank. It's safe and in a protected location and will survive accidents that would wreck a DOT tank. Of course it's not as safe as no propane, but it's *much* safer than carrying a DOT tank inside the vehicle, and I believe somewhat safer than carrying a DOT tank outside the vehicle. The little 14 and 16 ounce bottles are also DOT certified, with the added limitation that you may not transport them in any way whatsoever if they have been refilled.

david David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net