Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 1999 02:05:57 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: E-Mail Legislation (death of message)
Comments: To: David Beierl <synergx@ibm.net>

This is the IDENTICAL argument used against UPS way back when. Does it strike you as odd that private enterprise can and does deliver virtually every other product to these isolated areas but somehow first class mail is considered an impossible task? There was a big argument back in the 70's about this when UPS proved the nay-sayers wrong. USP did in fact say that they COULD duplicate the job of the Post Office and do it better and cheaper; even in the isolated areas. Having UPS throughly prove thier arguments wrong as regards Parcle Post delivery by beating them in speed, safty and cost they could hardly use this "only we can do it" argument against First Class delivery. That too almost went private back then. Public pressure was VERY strong but stronger still was the threat of withholding Union Support in the next election. The "compromise" was to make the PO a "semi-private" business granted a monopoly. UPS, FEDEX, et al still lobby to recind the law and SITLL claim they can do it faster and cheaper but continued union campaign contributions guarantee that they will not even be permitted to try. The risk of being beaten again as they were before is too great.