Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:38:59 -0700
From:         Brad Anderson <BAnderso@STARBUCKS.COM>
Subject:      Rattling shifter fixed

Just wanted to drop a line and tell everyone about my success. There was a thread a few weeks ago about a shifter that rattled at highway speeds in the most annoying way. After listening to many exchanges, I saw someone mention a boot where the linkage meets the tranny, and I thought to myself, 'I don't remeber a boot there'. You see, only weeks before I had changed the transmission fluid, which requires removing that end of the linkage to get a clear shot at the filler port. So, long story short, I bought the replacement boot for $2 at the dealer, pulled the back end of the linkage down, removed the fragments of the old boot, filled the little cup/socket with grease, and wragled the new boot on. Problem solved. If you want to save a little time, pay close attention to how the linkage mounts to the tranny, because its easy to put it back together in slightly the wrong way, which effectively limits you to 1st, 3rd, and reverse gears. Now I just need to stick in the radiator resistor Ron sent me and my noisy fan days may be over too. I'll comment later on how that goes!