Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jul 1999 13:35:24 PDT
From:         Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Re: Vanagon awning

I have the A&E Catalina 2500 too and I second all of Steven's comments.

A mechanic friend helped me learn how to open it and close it well, and even though it's a little awkward at first, I am impressed with how well designed it is: if you go SLOWLY, extending the the posts and rafters and setting them up incrementally at increasing lengths as you gently pull out the canvas, everything falls into place REALLY nicely. (If you're by yourself, you can tighten the rafters easily at any extension length to help "hold" the whole contraption in place while you adjust the posts further out from the van to accomodate the next extension....if you know what I mean....maybe you had to be there!)

I would also add that you have the option of setting the posts on the ground vertically (perpendicular to the ground) OR attaching them to small black plastic clips you mount on the side of the van. (So that, if you wanted, you could drive away with the awning deployed -- preferably with the pop top open as well!)

It's also very important to keep the canvas pull cord centered in the middle of the spool ( there's an arrow to help you) -- otherwise, just like a window shade, the canvas rolls up unevenly and won't fit into the housing as well.

I would love to hear any other shortcuts/tips/comments on the Catalina 2500 or awnings generally as its all new to me as well.

Tony