Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:07:30 -0700
From:         "Charles \"Luke\" Lukey" <luke@SEANET.COM>
Subject:      Review: Redmond Werkshop

To broaden the list's knowledge base, especially the Vanagon-afflicted in the Seattle area, I offer the following report on my experiences at Redmond Werkshop...

I'd put off changing the coolant in my '88 Wolfsburg Edition Vanagon until two events occurred on the same day:

1. I had time to take it to a shop. 2. My wife wasn't driving it.

Yesterday, July 6, 1999, was the day.

I work in Redmond, Washington, home of Microsoft and Genie Industries. I work for Genie. The guys driving AMC Pacers work for Microsoft.

I'd heard a few good things about Redmond Werkshop. A buddy at work takes his ancient Porsche there - He gave me this smashing little magnet with their phone number on it.

Redmond Werkshop is located in a strip mall on Willows Road. They work a four day week; Open early, close late, take Friday off.

There were no VW's parked outside, and only three cars inside. One was a VW Rabbit pickup, couple of Jettas. The office space was small, decorated in New Beetle posters and BMW kitsch, big window looking into the orderly shop.

This is a good sign. One of my tasks at work is to visit and evaluate machine shops for possible contract awards. Though there are exceptions, you can get an idea of what sort of service you can expect by evaluating housekeeping skills.

To be sure the Werkshop knew their business, so I asked the counterman what type of coolant they would use - Autobahn? "No, we use this stuff that Saab recommends - it's non-phosphate and the Vanagons seem to like it."

OK, Saab is good, non-phosphate is good, we can do business.

As I handed him the key I requested that they take the car for a drive, see if there was anything else that needed repair. "Sure, we can do that."

I called at noon to check status: "Yep, all ready to go." At five o'clock I arrive with checkbook. $123.71 for the coolant change, acceptable. There were other people in the office picking up cars, so didn't have time to ask many questions.

Now I'm sitting here looking at the receipt to get the spelling on "Werkshop" and I see a handwritten note: "Loosness in front end - esp drivers side." What can this mean?

So I call: "Yeah, it's got a little thumping noise on the driver's side when you go over a bump - it might be a wheel bearing needs adjusting or something."

OK, I have noticed some noise coming from the front end. I know the front rack was replaced a few years ago and I changed the brake pads myself, so there could be several possibilities.

Overall, I'm happy with the Werkshop. A little pissed that they didn't mention the noise at my noontime phone call, but hey, I get busy and forget stuff too.

Charles "Luke" Lukey Seattle, WA