Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:11:32 PDT
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Re: WOLF FLIES
Comments: To: Tom Hubbard <hubbard.1@osu.edu>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 13:36:00 -0500, Tom Hubbard wrote:

> Hi Robert. I've been driving my '88 Westfalia for two years. I just bought > a '90 at an auction. I'm beginning to look into mechanical things and saw > your message about increasing mpg by adjusting "FI." >What is "FI"

I rebuilt my engine changing stock the cam lift and duration. I also put on a new airflow meter. It was not adjusted, so I had to adjust it to work with all the engine changes. I set the AFM to the old AFM settings. It was running lean, so I increased the CO content to increase fuel amount. I also added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The engine is breathing air faster so it needs the fuel to the valve quicker. Plus the adjuster is more sensitive to vacuum loads.

and tell about the H&R SPRINGS:

My 88 Wolfsburg came with the lowered factory springs. It was lowered about 1.5" from the standard ride height of the earlier vanagons. The H&R springs lowered the front @1" lower in the front(the ride height at the front spoiler is at 9"). The rear was lowered about 2". The front ride height did not decrease because the angle the van was at is closer to horizontal now. The rear dropped more than the front thus now decreasing the front clearance much. The cornering has improved a lot. Curves that required me to slow down, now give me no trouble. I might still add sway bars to improve the handlingfurther. I feel the bumps a little more now, but I felt them with the old springsalso. I had been concerned with the springs carrying extra weight in addition to myself and the van, But I am more. I had an extra 500 pounds in my van (family members) and the rear sank down about a quarter inch. The ride did not get harsher either. IMPORTANT: If you and when you change the springs GET an alignment before you drive much to avoid extreme tire wear. ALL the angles are changed. You will chew the inside edge of the tires up. Plus remove the side covers before the alignment: left single and right rear quarter panel so they can get to the rear adjustment bolts.

Robert