Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:12:52 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Westies at the Winnipeg Folk Festival (long)

Hi Westies:

This weekend I had the pleasure of meeting many Westy owners at the WFF.

Mr. Fred Hayes, (from LIMBO) was in attendence with his lovely wife, and really neat van. Totally blacked out all the window chrome, blacked out wheelwells and trailing arms - beetle-style bright chrome hubcaps on blacked out steel wheels - really sharp!

Fred is a commercial artist and champion model builder, and it shows in the exquisite detailing and extra touches on his van.

Karen and I also had brunch today (at the Winnipeg "Forks" waterfront development) with listees Chuck and Barbara Hill, who came all the way from Iowa for the festival.

They enjoyed it (and Winnipeg) so much they're coming back next year, and bringing their adult children and their spouses!

Anyhow, Karen and I have enjoyed meeting these really nice people, and we have the list collectively to thank for making it possible.

Now - on to the festival and the Westies there.

The Festival, probably had 20 -30 thousand in attendance during it's run. An excellent, well run event. Not as counter-culture as in the past, I guess NA is getting older.

Chuck told me there was long lines for morning showers (I didn't camp so I can't complain!). Lots of stages, lots of space to move, absolutely hassle free.

Westies: I think whenever there is a gathering of this kind, it should be good ettiquette for Westies to park with their tops popped, for visibility!

Westie heaven - lots of water/air cooled's. Saw a "Riveara", I think it's called, a Westie with the top that popps completely horizontally!

Anyhow, I've never seen so many Westies in one place before - there were too many for me to count, and I was too hot and tired at the end of the day.

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy "Iron Igloo" Founding Member of "Vanagon's Anonymous"