Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jul 1999 20:14:12 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      NICE surprise, and some new questions to go with it.
Comments: To: VWDiesel List <diesel@vwfans.com>

I spent all afternoon at Mark Drillock's house today. We ripped the front suspensions out of 2 vans for a future swap. He helped me time my injector pump with his collection of special (expensive) tools that I need a set of. I asked him a million questions about how and where to find a 1.9l diesel to replace my 1.6l. While laying under my van, sawing off a particularly poorly engineered muffler bracket, I looked up at the engine to see a 1.9 staring me in the face! This after already adjusting the injector pump to 1.6 specs :( I already have the engine I wanted to buy! No doubt the PO had no clue.

What do I have to do different to adjust the 1.6 injector pump to deliver the proper amount of fuel for a 1.9? I understand that the intake (and maybe exhaust) ports are different for the 1.6 and 1.9. Is there any way to tell what type of head this is without removing the manifolds? The lifters are hydraulic. Is there any performance to be gained by using larger diameter exhaust tubing than the stock setup? I am about ready for a complete exhaust system, so I might as well do it right!

Thanks to Mark, again, for helping a newbie! I'll be back for the injector pump adjustment as soon as I can figure it out.

Mike Snow '82 Westy 1.9 :) NA diesel