Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 1999 06:25:20 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Disappointing sound from new muffler
Comments: To: kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>

Ken- What is the brand? Or is it one of those SERIOUSLY after market mufflers that just comes wrapped in plastic, with a little tag that says "muffler, Vanagon, 1983-91". Where did you get it? I used to run a Pacestter "Eliminator" on my first 1976. It was good an quiet, but I had to have the tailpipe welded back on within a week after it fell off.

Cheers,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: kenneth d lewis [SMTP:kdlewis@JUNO.COM] Sent: Sunday, July 11, 1999 7:39 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Disappointing sound from new muffler

Greetings and salutations;

The new after market muffler and cat have been installed about three weeks now. I am quite disappointed that it does not sound much better than the old, rusty, swiss-cheese, piece of junk that it replaced. It emits a flatulent, weazing burble that sounds like I need a new muffler. I checked all the joints with a stethoscope to look for leaks but all is tight. I ran into this problem with an after market Porsche muffler made by Dansk that was about two thirds the price of OEM. I get the feeling that this might be a third world economy knock off without the acoustical engineering i.e. looks identical from the outside but not the inside. Anyone else notice this?

Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis<Kernersville,NC>86 VW crewcab;60 T-5 Coupe

___________________________________________________________________ Get the Internet just the way you want it. Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month! Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.