Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:19:51 -0230
From:         Bob Norman <B.Norman@THEZONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: WTB:Syncro Left Front Brake Caliper
Comments: To: L&A Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>

Larry, you can use the caliper with out the bleed screw, I've done it on my bug. (I've also snapped an ezout in the screw hole- made from the hardest stuff on the planet, impossible to drill.)

Anyway, bleed the ones furthest away first (as per usual), note how many times you have pumped to get the line clear. When you come to the broken one, slacken the main brake line going to it, and get some one to pump, while you retighten it at the bottom of each stroke, and loosen it at the top. Make sure you have plenty of rags, or paper towels around, You can also try to fit a butter tub or such, up around there to catch the fluid.

When you've pumped at least as many strokes as the previous one, that wheel is bled.

It's messy, and you are more or less guessing when the system is bled, but it does work, and you can tell by feel of the pedal how effective it was. It'll get you out of a jam anyway.

Bob Norman '81 Westy Gander Newfoundland Canada

L&A Johnson wrote: > > The *#$%# brake bleed nipple twisted off. Then the EZout snapped in the > hole. Now the EZout ain't EZ any more. I know, I know, I sprayed > penetrating oil on it for weeks until the environmental protection > agency reported it as a major oil spill. But Murphy won. I give up. I'll > replace the whole $%#^& unit. > > Somewhere someone has a front left brake caliper in a pile of "useful > items". Maybe its time to find it a new home. > > Please p-mail me at mailto:larry_avery.johnson@sympatico.ca > Larry