Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:38:46 -0230
From:         Bob Norman <B.Norman@THEZONE.NET>
Subject:      Measurements for side holes.

I've just replaced the entire driver's side panel on my '81 Westy. The area covered runs from the seams front and rear, to the first crease up top (just below the fridge exhaust) down to the inner sill on the bottom. It was quite a job. My old panel was toast, as water had been leaking in through the water & electrical holes, running down the inside and rusting the whole side/bottom out of it. The pieces that were not rusty were sacrificed to patch certain floor/sill areas.

The panel that I used came from a scrapped non Westy Vanagon. I had envisioned replacing the panel, then taking measurements from my mom's '88 for the water & electrical holes, cutting them out and refitting my fridge, etc. Not so easy. Turns out that the holes in the side of mom's Westy, while similar looking, are not in the same places as mine were. Of course I know now that I should have measured this first, that has already been brought to my attention by several "helpful" people.

Anyway, I've given myself an arse kicking for not checking the measurements first, and for cutting up my old panel. What I need now is for some kindly lister with the appropriate Westy (80-83.5?) to measure the position of the water filler, and city water hook up holes. Specifically in relation to the seams on the sides, and the top of the crease below the fridge vent, or from the bottom seam (rocker panel) up.

I really appreciate help with this one, as there are no other Air-cooled Westys around here.

Cheers,

Bob Norman '81 Westy Gander, Newfoundland Canada

p.s. Anyone know why they changed the location of the holes? I've seen the Westy's with three in a row, but why would they slightly change the 2-on-top-1-down-bottom style from early years to late years?