Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:06:27 -0700
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: on "upgrading" to Eurovan
Comments: To: Gerald Rees <GMREES@COMPUSERVE.COM>

At 10:31 AM 7/12/1999 -0400, Gerald Rees wrote: >Our '89 Wolfsburg Edition Weekender has been a treasured member of the >family for ten years and is still in good shape, but we decided to replace >it with a new Eurovan. We want to drive to Alaska again, and at age 75 I >just didn't feel like facing the possible hassles of mechanical troubles >along the way. (On our last trip, the water pump gave out at Dawson Creek, >1500 miles from the nearest VW dealer.) After three weeks, we have mixed >feelings about the change. There are many good things about the Eurovan >such as front-wheel drive, quiet, accessible and powerful engine with more >speed than I will ever use, some welcome engineering changes and a >generally more solid feel. But there just isn't the living space. Why did >they make the huge storage space under the back seat accessible only >through a tiny opening in a useless plastic cover? (Can I get that cover >off without destroying it?)

The storage area is accessable in three ways. One through the rear hatch, second, by unlatching the rear seat (at least on the EV/MV version) you can slide the seat forward to get access, and third the panel under the seat does pop off. It is held in place by a couple of spring clips.

>Why no access to the spaces under the front >seats?

Hmmm....On my 93 EV/MV I can get access from the front as well as through the sides facing the doors.

>Why make the table so you can't put it up when the bed is made? (I >fixed that by removing the leg and improvising a support bracket.) Why is >that ugly heater vent sticking up behind the right front seat? (Can I >remove that and block the vent without something overheating?) >

As far as the table goes, I can't help you there. The black thing you describe is not a heater vent, I believe it is part of the ductwork which feeds the vent which resides in the step next to the side door.

Ric