Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:46:33 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Back from Vacation! - Engines, Tires, Fuel Storeage Ideas

David wrote:

> >This trip was also the maiden voyage for my 1985 GTI engine that I >installed the week before. Totally flawless! On the prairies we drove a >constant 4000RPM in 4th gear which is aprox 120km/h, the van weighted >2200kg and we averaged 13L/100km. In BC we drove a constant 3300RPM which >aprox 100km/h and turned in a respectable 11L/100km.

As a point of comparison, my 1800 digifant makes around 9.2 l/100km this time of year, higher fuel consumption in winter and with a heavy camping load+canoe.

Range in other units: 29.8 miles/imperial gal -> 24.14 mpg.

>One thing that did bother me is the price of fuel. Prices in BC jumped to >55.9 per L, AB is 52.9 per L and SK is 60.9 per L. We took two 25L Gerry >cans with us to stock up on the "cheap" AB fuel.

I know that it seems tempting to carry "cheap" gas along with you on a trip, but with these price differentials is it really worth it?

B.C. gas: 0.559 $/l = $27.95 per 50 litre gerry cans Alberta gas: 0.529 $/l = $26.45 per 50 litre gerry cans Sask gas: 0.609 $/l = $30.45 per 50 litre gerry cans

Difference between Alberta and Sask gas gives you a whopping savings of $2.50. How much do gerry cans (not to mention mounting brackets) cost and how many gerry can fillups to make it pay?

Its a different thing if you are using them to increase range, but to"save money??

Alistair