Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 1999 15:13:45 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 82 diesel cooling problem cont'd
Comments: To: GREATCLOD@aol.com

> well well > got everything back together and topped up and running cool and sweet for > couple days, needle just below the LED all the time > third day it's TOUCHING the light, I'm getting nervous > it's stayed there, but yesterday heard some unfamiliar squeaking from the > back - > water pump! > so it must have been going all this time > would that have contributed to marginal cooling?

Other than the bleeding tips you already got let me add: If the pump bearing is worn severely the shaft will rotate off-center and grind out part of the pump housing, while letting coolant backflow in the other end. The result is reduced pumping effect and both a broken pump and pump housing. (Note these are two different part numbers. I've still got some FS)

Additional warning: Many unscroupolus or ignorant mechanics take the easy way out and replace the correct waterpump (harder to find) with the more commonly available Golf/Jetta one. This causes overheating. THe three last dead Diesel Vanagons I inspected had most likely overheated and died because of this. There are also big quality differences between the aftermarket waterpumps.

> questions 2. and 3. remain: > 2. timing belt not tracking properly > it's riding @ 1/8" to the REAR and has worn off @ that much of its width on > the crank and tensioner flanges

BAD, BAD, BAD. The Diesel is an interference engine. If the belt ever jumps or breaks the pistons will crash into the valves => Need another engine.

> 3. sticking fuel pump > lever arm - can it be lubed without pump disassembly? > how?

Lubing the shaft might help for a while. Very carefully bending the lever upwards often solves the problem. Dissassembly or violent acts likely lands you with a $500 pump rebuild.

More info is in the list archives on all these topics.

/Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.yale.edu/~jag/vw/forsale.html

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------