Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:51:02 -0700
From:         Stephen Arbaugh <sneakers@OZ.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy Water Tank Fill
Comments: cc: synergx@IBM.NET

I'm gonna have to look for one of these newer style fillers. With the old style like I've got, I bought a simple hose nozzle that has a pretty small spray opening, prolly 3/8inch or so (this will make sense in a minute). Then I bought plastic tubing, about a foot of it, and put the two together ala fuel hose/barb fitting (make sense now?). I also put a screw clamp on it to keep it from popping off. The tubing is no more than 1/2inch diameter outside, not too big. Take the plastic tubing/squirter gizmo, put it on a hose, then stuff the tubing down the filler tube as far as it will go. Mine is permanently curved, which works great to get it further down the filler tube as it turns towards the tank. Then turn on the water. It won't flow too fast, which helps the overflow problem, but it won't take more than a few minutes to fill. If you have a valve at the end, even better, listen for the water coming up to level, shut it off just before. Typically, I'll fill it from inside, easier, quicker, make sure there aren't any major cooties camping out in there. I'll clean it out 3 or 4 times a year regardless of use.

Is this even worth 2cents???

steve '85 westy kent, wa

At 10:54 AM 7/12/99 -0400, David Beierl wrote: >At 02:32 7/12/99 -0400, Joe L. wrote: >> I have found no way to fill the tank through the filler at any decient >>speed without water running over the side of the van. I think the passages >>in there are just too narrow. If I am in a hurry I fill it from the top. > >The new-type fillers (lid hinges out to form a sort of funnel, plain >plastic key) have a little rubber flap as a check valve to keep water from >splashing out. This greatly restricts filling. I removed mine and now it >fills quite reasonably (though not quite as well as the old ones). The >price is that while driving with maybe half a tank or more, a few drops of >water escape and run down the outside. No big deal to me. > >Also, it may not be obvious that the lid has two open positions. The >second is a good deal wider. I have been able to just jam a hose in there >and into the actual fill hole (more or less) -- when the moderate overflow >turns into a gush the tank is full. Also, it takes longer than you might >think to run 15 gallons of water through a longish hose at moderate >pressure. I'm always surprised. > >david >David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net