Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:33:33 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      More on Giardia

Not wanting to start a debate here, but some of what I have read or heard or experienced over my past 30 years of camping, backpacking, and living in the mountains seems to conflict with recent posts.

1. I have read that many of the municipal water systems in the U.S. are contaminated with Giardia. And most of the natural water systems. Some with higher concentrations than others.

2. You can get it by swimming in a lake if you open your mouth and a wave splashes in... or perhaps even from contact on your lips if the concentration is high enough.

3. Boiling, filters (if the mesh is small enough), and Iodine are effective in purifying the water to drinkable quality. I use 'Potable Aqua' (an Iodine product sold at backpack stores) at double strength as suggested in the directions. I have been backpacking for many many years using this method. I also use this to clean out my Westy water tank. Filters are good, but not all of them filter to small enough sizes. Also, filters are problematic because you must be careful not to let the bad water part drip on the good water parts or into your filtered water. I know people who have gotten Giardia due to sloppy filter skills. Also if allow your filter to freeze it can crack the filtering membrane thus defeating the filtering of Giardia.

4. Giardia symptoms can come on with in 24 hours if the concentration of Giardia in the water you drink is high enough. The main symptoms is severe gastro intestinal disturbance, sometimes explosive eliminations, and very bad odors. I believe such things as alcohol and milk amplify the disturbances. The disturbances become cyclic as the little beasties multiply between episodes of intense eliminations.

5. Add the drug Quiniquirne (spelling) to the treatments.

6. Often does not show up on the tests. If you have the symptoms and have been camping many doctors will just not bother with the test... they just start you on the treatment since the tests are not conclusive anyway.

7. Sometimes cases are mild. But if you don't get rid of it, it can weaken your health and ultimately shorten your life.

8. Most common method for spreading is drinking bad water in the mountains, or not washing your hands at home... children and diaper changers are primary suspects at home.

9. Be picky about the water you fill your Westy tank with :)

Bill 90 Westy Syncro