Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:48:31 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: repair books
Comments: To: Jim Cain <jcain@MINDSPRING.COM>

As far as I know there are two books that cover the Watercooled Vanagon; one being the Bentley, the other being a BRITISH printing of the Haynes. This Haynes is not usually available at the usual places but can be had through the Bus Depot. The Bentley seems to have been written for the expierenced mechanic who already has a good knowledge of things automotive but needs info on this particular vehicle. The "whats" and the "wheres" are all there but the "hows" are rather scarce because it assumes you, being a mechanic, already know "how". The Haynes, on the other hand, assumes one knows nothing. Because of the assumption those areas that are covered include many of the "hows" left out in the Bentley. The unfortunate thing about the Haynes is that the folks who wrote it decided that there were cretain repairs that the rank amature should not be doing at all. Little information is given on these systems beyond some general outlines and friendly hints to "Take it to a real mechanic" Go to the bookstore and look at pretty much any Haynes and you will see what I mean. Another thing about the Haynes is that NOTHING is in there for ANY of the systems or additions that make your Vanagon a Westy. If you need to pull the Dometic Fridge or take out a cabinet you will get NO help from the Haynes. The Bentley has all of this.

Which one should you get? Depends on what is going to break on your Westy and what you plan to do about it when it does. I have both books. I, like you, like to restrict my activities to "piddling" but sometimes Murphy shows up and I have to really get "in there" and actually fix something. For these times of Major Surgury I want all the info I can get to hopefully make up for my lack of expierence. With these two books along with occasionally driving the folks on the list nuts I have made repairs on my 83.5 I would never have thought I could do. Much to my surprise I now find myself perfectly willing to get into just about anything on my Westy except the transmission. Having done all the repair work for the last seven years I also get a kick every time I start the old girl up. The $120 or so that the books cost has so far saved me several thousand in labor costs and THIS, I believe, is the key. If something breaks you ARE going to pay for the books, along with tools and such needed to fix her; either YOUR books and tools that YOU keep or your mechanic's books and tools that HE keeps.

One last thing. My small local library has THREE copies of the Bentley down there. Yours may have one as well.