Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 1999 02:40:41 -0400
From:         David Beierl <synergx@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: remanufactured parts and alternators
Comments: To: "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>

At 00:14 7/14/99 -0400, Karl F. Bloss wrote: >remanufactured Bosch. In the process of talking with the owner, he >told me that "remanufactured" and "rebuilt" are NOT the same. Check >out:

><http://www.a1-alternator.com/terms.html>

...in which A-1 says that "remanufactured" denotes a lesser operation than "rebuilt." This struck me as odd, so I wandered around the web a bit. Interesting citations below. A-1 are the only people I could find who make this distinction in this direction. Most automotive outfits, including Ford Motor Company, say the precise opposite. The Automotive Parts Rebuilders Association, through its lawyers, points out that the Code of Federal Regulations treats "rebuilt" and "remanufactured" as synonyms, at least with regard to auto parts, and sets the identical standard for each ( relevant section of CFR cited below). This standard, incidentally, conforms to the lesser type of service quoted by A-1 as "remanufactured." Interestingly, they (the FTC) also forbid the use of the term "factory rebuilt" unless the rebuild was done in a factory that rebuilds things. Nothing to do with the original factory. (!).

In general, industrial firms treat "rebuild" as a subset of "remanufacture" -- the machine is rebuilt to make it as good as new, then it may or may not be remanufactured to add features, bring it up to current standards etc. More citations below.

I have to conclude that A-1 are either a little confused about ordinary practice, or are doing a quick shuffle based on the (identical) legal definition of the terms, though I don't see why they would do this.

If you don't want to read the citations, you should stop now. They go on for awhile. Rough order is Auto firms, Auto trade association, 16CFR20.3, industrial firms. Each is a URL followed by relevant quote or quotes from the page. There is however one very interesting one from a Corvette page, interesting because it directly examines alternators remanufactured by Bosch and compares them with the same alternators remanufactured by AC-Delco, the original mfr of these Corvette alternators.

YMMV david

ps -- Matthew, I really *don't* have time to do this; I'm just a little cuckoo... :)

http://www.engineexchange.com/our_quality.htm

http://www.ford.com/customerservice/genuine/versus.html

http://www.aera.org/Library/diesel_standards_of_service.htm

>3.6 Rebuilt engine and its synonym remanufactured engine ¾ describes an >engine which has been: > > (a) Dismantled, cleaned, inspected, i.e. crack tested, > pressure tested or visually inspected, whichever is applicable or appropriate. > > (b) The components have been inspected and critical surfaces > machined when necessary to achieve the proper dimensions and finishes > per acceptable industry standards. > > (c) New replacement parts, as defined in this Standard, have > been installed as required; and > > (d) The engine has been assembled with all critical areas fit > to proper clearances or interference and manufacturers' specified > fastener-tightening procedures. > >3.7 Reconditioned component > > A component which has been found to be beyond acceptable industry > standards, but which is rendered suitable for normal service by acceptable > machining techniques. > >3.8a. Replacement components > > Replacement components are defined as items that are acquired > from manufacturers or suppliers who can demonstrate fitness for purpose and who > can support their products with written warranty. > > b. Replacement parts defined as those parts not designed for > re-use such as gaskets, bearings, piston rings, soft plugs, o-rings and seals. > >3.9 Shall ¾ indicates that a statement is mandatory. > >3.10 Should ¾ indicate a recommendation.

>http://www.ftc.gov/opp/jointvent/madeusa/ftp/usa/030.txt

>Law Offices >Conlon, Frantz, Phelan, Knapp & Pires >Suite 700 >1818 N Street, N.W. >Washington, D.C. 20036 >(202) 331-7050 >e-mail: Cfpkp@aol.com > > > January 24, 1996 > > > HAND DELIVERED > >Office of the Secretary >Federal Trade Commission >Room 159 >Sixth and Pennsylvania Avenues, NW >Washington, D.C. 20580 > > Re: Made in USA Policy Comments > FTC File No. P894219 > >Dear Sir: > > This firm represents the Automotive Parts Rebuilders >Association (APRA), the trade association for those companies which >rebuild or remanufacture non-functioning motor vehicle parts and >equipment for resale and reuse. It also represents the firms which >provide used parts, called cores, to rebuilders and the >manufacturers which supply new parts, machinery and equipment to >them. APRA has over 2000 members throughout the United States, >Canada and the world, with the overwhelming majority in the United >States. > > Rebuilding/Remanufacturing{1} > ><gigantic snip> > >Footnotes: > >{1} In the vehicle parts aftermarket, these two words describe the >same process. Products bearing either of these designations must >undergo the reconditioning process described in the FTC guides for >used and reconditioned parts. See 20 CFR Part 20.

Well, it's actually 16 CFR Part 20.3, but who's counting?

http://www.impomag.com/1197fr1.htm

http://www.romacsupply.com/

http://www.alvey.com/reman.htm

http://www.qualitymag.com/articles/feb99/0299f4.html