Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:04:52 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Bilsteins
Comments: To: Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>

The syncro Bilsteins were a special project and are not available through Bilstein. Bilsten does not make shocks for the syncro. Projectzwo used to sell modified bilstein fronts for the syncro at $699 a pair...but i do not know if they are still available. The bilsteins we got were purchased through a racing/fabrication shop as a one-time deal...they were not purchased directly from Bilstein. There was a five set minimum.

I would go with the Old Man Emu shocks sold by ARB in seattle....i drove Mark Drillock's syncro with OMEs and they seemed to be a significant improvement over the stockers and price is not much more than the Boges.

I used no special tools to change the shocks...it is a demanding and difficult job, though...figure 4 hours per side on your first attempt.

steve Joel Cort wrote: > > Hi Steve, > > Sounds like you have been pretty busy with the testing > and enjoying the Westy. I'm envious of the San > Fransicso test beds and great picnic spots. > > Could you please let me/us know where you purchased > the Bilsteins for the Syncro and how much they cost > you. > > Also, it sounds like you did all this yourself. Would > you know what the dimensions are on the upper > nut/allen combination that holds the shock under the > seats. Basically what special tool did you use and > where did you get it. Bentley shows some funky VW > tool (probably very expensive) but I know that there > are other sockets with a split for the interior allen > wrench out there. > > Thanks for any info. > > Joel Cort > 89 Syncro Westy - in the finger lakes of NY state >