Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:45:57 -0700
From:         "Charles \"Luke\" Lukey" <luke@SEANET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front seat cots
Comments: To: "M.R. Nimmo" <mrnimmo@YAHOO.COM>

Before you build a cot, check out www.plfvw.com They make 'em.

Luke Seattle

>>I'm considering making a canvas hammock that hangs from the top of the two front seats when they are swivelled to face the middle<<

Houston, I used to have occasion to drive a military bus which had been converted for use as an ambulance. We rarely used it as an ambulance but often camped in it. It was the normal bluebird-type bus with all the benches facing forward. In the back was a bathroom and a big open area for carrying rucksacks and such.

Attached to the side walls were military stretchers, on at the level of the top of the bench seats and another a few feet higher ala bunk beds. The stretchers are just like the cot in the front of an loaf westy: two poles, a bracket contraption that holds the deal open, and canvas on which you lay. These things are available surplus for a song.

The cots were bolted against the outside walls with a large bolt. Only two as I remember and we put some bog old hosses in these things. The inside pole, when the cot was opened, was supported by a thick chain that fastened a hook in the cot pole to a large hook in the ceiling. When folded, the cots only extended a few inches from the wall.

I can't imagine that bolting a cot to the sides of a vanagon would be possible. Perhaps you could hang the cot by chains from four hooks coming off the roof of your westy. Don't know for sure because I haven't spent much time in a vanagon westy. Maybe this will get the lists creativity flowing.

Hope this helps, Ray