Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:58:07 -0700
From:         "Greenamyer, William L" <William.Greenamyer@WEST.BOEING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas versis catalytic converter
Comments: To: Joel Walker <jwalker@bama.ua.edu>

Good thoughts Joel on the searching question response.. I will have to see how much the change is. I have been told that it could be an intake leak also. Lots of input but the oxygen sensor would seem to make sense.

On the bad catalytic converters. The failure mode is the inside bonding material breaks down and the converter ends up in little pieces and some big pieces that plug the exhaust to the muffler. The first time this happened was when my wife was on her way from California (where I live) to Oklahoma for a dog show. The cat converter was replaced in New Mexico. Lasted less than a year and I had to pull the muffler to unplug it. It still has small pieces in it and I need to get into it again and clean it out. Thing is the smog is coming up again this year so I need to replace the shell of a cat with a new one.

Also thanks to Tyrone for your idea but it wouldn't go over well with the smog folks in California.

William Greenamyer Between Las Vegas and LA in California high desert