Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:51:05 -0400
From:         Michael & Carol Ostrouch <ostrouch@A-ZNET.COM>
Subject:      Idle too High on 91 Westy

Hi all, I just subscribed as I have had several air-cooled VW bugs and this is my first Vanagon. It's a 91 Westfalia, that we found at a VW dealer.

The previous owner was a guy in his 70's who bought new hoping to get his wife into camping and that didn't work. So it has never been camped

in! And then he threw 2 connecting rods at 90,000 miles and had a new VW long block installed! I couldn't resist so now we have a 91 Westy and a

71 Bug as our daily drivers. Isn't life grand?

Oh yaah, the idle problem. How do I lower the idle? It can idle up as high as 1500 rpm now. I had to replace the circlip on the throttle rod adjustment arm after loosing all throttle control last night. So I hope to figure this out tomorrow. I got the Haynes VW Transporter book from the Bus depot for 82-90 vanagons. And not quite sure so I thought I'd ask. The section below is scanned from the book on the throttle valve switch, should I mess with this, or is it all in the throttle rod? What about the Idle speed control valve? It seems to vibrate like the book said? ~~~~~Scan from manual below~~~~~~ Throttle Valve Switch-checking and adjustment

I Correct adjustment of the throttle valve switch is important for smooth running. Surging, stalling and erratic idling can all be caused by a maladjusted switch. 2 Unplug the connector from the throttle valve switch. Connect an ohmmeter across the switch terminals. 3 Open and close the throttle and o the ohmmeter reading. There should reading of 1.5 ohms or less at idle ant throttle positions,

and an infinite (open reading at all other positions. 4 To adjust, insert a feeler blade of thi 0.05 to 0.10 mm between the throttle lever and the idle stop Slacken the switch securing screw at the adjusting screw until the switch just (infinite resistance). Do not attempt to the]throttle valve basic setting screw. 6 Tighten the screws, remove the feeler and recheck the operation of the switch Idle speed control valve Testing: I Start the engine and allow it to idle. Feel the idle speed control valve it should be felt to vibrate. 2 If the valve does not vibrate, stop the engine and unplug the electrical from from the valve. Measure the resistance the valve terminals: it must be as specified.

Thanks in advance Mike O of central NY 91 Westy 71 Bug