Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jul 1999 00:59:01 -0700
From:         Otmar Ebenhoech <Otmar@EVCL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 camper for sale, San Francisco area, $3200. yup.

>ad in www.classifieds2000.com says: > >1987 vw westfalia, 171k miles, $3,200/obo >gold exterior, beige/tan interior, 4 cyl, air conditioning, cassette player, >manual transmission. >price lowered to $6,000 with new rebuilt motor (still to be taken into shop) >or for $3,200 as-is (needs motor but all else in great shape). > >userid: gordon1 >for sale by private party >(415) 531-4200 <hmmm. phone number looks like a dealer to >me!> >Foster City, CA - Bay Area 94404 > >and that's all i know. good luck! >joel

I looked at this van today. It's a private party, cell phone, nice guy.

Warning! It's not a full camper, it's the "weekender?" with the wide bench seat, westie pop top but lacking the westie cabinet fridge/stove etc. It does have some crappy american sink/stove with a Dometic top loader 2 way fridge (ok unit, I used to have one) plus an oversize propane tank under the passenger side (low clearance).

The dent in the right rear quarter is significant with a rusty crinkle forward of the rear wheel. The body has a few rust spots, but isn't very bad. A couple bubbles around the drivers side sliding window (westie with screen) indicate that it spent time near coastal air. It has a bra, I didn't check under it. Seam rust is very light. Dent in drivers door near bottom.

Interior is well worn, carpets and seat covers worn. Pop top canvas is great, needs seal and has moderate mildew on inside of top and bed. Has an awning that interferes with closing the top.

It does not have a tach, only the old analog clock cluster. Odd, I thought all the 87s had a tach. No power anything. Seats do not have swivels.

The tranny is thick with oil and grime, PO claims it worked fine. Engine has oil in the water and PO claims it made a ticking sound. I did not run it. It seems to me it may only need a oil cooler, but I really don't know. Oil does not have water in it. PO claims 20K on motor but he got a settlement from VW for the price of the motor because they had screwed up the pistons on the rebuild and then fixed them at 500 miles?

That's about all I remember. I gave up on it as soon as I saw it wasn't a full camper.

BTW, anyone have a nice westie, 86+ that needs an engine for sale? I've got a freind who wants one for a I4 conversion.

-Otmar- 82/86 Stretch Vanagon Westfalia Syncro GTI. "Power of two" http://www.evcl.com/strvan/strvan.html Several EVs (Electric Vehicles) Electric Vehicle Components Ltd. (650) 494-9255