Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:57:43 EDT
From:         Sam Bateman <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: WTB weekender front curtain "snaps"/ fasteners

In a message dated 99-07-18 04:11:03 EDT, Jeff writes:

<< I need the male fasteners which are really small tips that install in the pillar behind the front doors on the Weekender to fasten the privacy curtain. This is the curtain that separates the cockpit from the "living area" in the back--stretching BEHIND the front seats. It attaches by a clip and "tip" set-up which I guess has a stronger hold than an ordinary snap since the curtain must be kept quite taught (I'm guessing I spelled "taught" wrong). >> Vanagoneers,

O.K., I have a stupid question but one that I need an answer to so that I can put my front curtains to use. I got a complete set from a parts Vanagon several years ago and I've got everything installed and functioning in my van except the front curtain. I never could really figure-out how the front mounted (assuming it to cover the windshield and front, side windows) but this post makes me think that maybe I have this "weekender" version that is supposed to go behind the front seats. Mine is a two-piece affair with each panel being about 4 feet long. Each panel has a webbing-reinforced section along it's top edge that's about 30 in. long that has the small snaps that are the size to fit the curtain track style sliders. The remainder of the panel has the larger snaps that are made to fit over the rigidly-mounted, metal pieces. There are also snaps so that the two panels can fasten together.

These came out of a '86 - '88 (exact year unknown) Vanagon that had a rear seat that folded into a bed. That's the only camping provission I saw - no pop-top, fridge, cabinets or such. The rear curtains were mounted so I was able to get all the snaps for those as I took them down but the front was not. I looked very carefully on the A/C ductwork over the windsield but couldn't find any snaps or any evidence that there had ever been any. My previous best guess as to how these fastened was that they went on a curtain track that ran over the front doors and then snapped onto pieces in the A/C ductwork. Problem is, I don't see how a curtain track could be installed over the front doors.

Could it be that I have the Weekender, behind the seat curtain? If not, anyone have any idea how and where to mount the snaps and/or curtain track for these?

Sam Bateman Fork Union, VA '87 Vanagon GL '85 Audi 5000S Avant