Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:01:07 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Felt seal on flywheel--'83
Comments: To: "Vanagon40@AOL.COM" <Vanagon40@AOL.COM>

Jim-

While I an as staunch believer in the philosophy, "If VW (among the biggest cheapskates in the world) put something on their cars, they put it there for an important reason", I have faced this felt washer dilemma before, (and actually face it today, as I write this).

If you can't get the metal "keeper" for the washer, (in my opinion) you *can* go without the washer. It does two things. It keeps grease from slinging out of the pilot bearing onto the clutch face. It also keeps spent friction material from the clutch out of the pilot bearing. However, the type4 is the only motor I can recall seeing these on, so I don't lose much sleep about leaving them out. Put a little less grease in the pilot bearing, and don't sweat it.

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Flanigan [SMTP:Vanagon40@AOL.COM] Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 12:03 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Felt seal on flywheel--'83

I'm changing the clutch on my '83 Vanagon, 1.9 water-cooled. When installing the new pilot bearing, I thought I could get to it from the transmission side of the flywheel--WRONG. However, on the transmission side of the flywheel is a felt seal. I took it out, destroying it in the process. The felt seal was in a tin can. I ordered a new seal from the dealer, and just got the felt part, not the metal part the original seal was in. The dealer is having problems getting either the proper seal or the tin can that the felt should be in--it does not show up on the computer. The additional problem is that the dealer only get shipments once a week, so trial and error is a very slow process. The metal part is about the size of a thimble, but not as tall. The seal mounts in the flywheel, and goes around the smooth part of the transmission shaft. Any ideas?