Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:15:37 -0400
From:         EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diff locks on 2WD Vanagons
Comments: To: "C&S Gibbs. Alaska. USA." <chrisgibbs@GCI.NET>

I did this years ago. It is NOT a bolt in job, unless you order a special trans. case from VW. This is just as easy and cheap as using a Syncro trans. in you 2WD Vanagon. So foget that. The only other option is to weld a block on to the side of your existing trans. This is what I did. THen machine to fit all Lock axle parts in place. A big pain. Not worth the effort! Axle locks don't work like most people think. Yes you get more traction, but only in a straight line! If I were to do it all over agian I would try a limited slip axle.

Eric 86-VW4x4 vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler