Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 1999 00:28:31 EDT
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [84GL cutting out]

Gary: I too had an '84 that intermittently would respond to throttle input with that flabby feel of a clogged fuel filter. Occasionally, if left to run at idle for a few minutes, it would stop running. Although the malfunction occurred sporadically (unlike any clogged filter I had ever seen ) , hard-earned experience has taught me to check the obvious things first, so I plugged in a new filter. Obviously that was a waste of manpower. I then proceeded to earn my Ph.D. in Digijet Fuel System Operation.

I could go on for pages with the travails that ensued once I became provoked to resolve this problem, but I'll spare you the tedium and cut to the chase. You may have pinholes on the top of your gas tank which are allowing water to enter the fuel system either directly or as water vapor which condenses out. If the van has spent any time in the Rust Belt, this is even more likely. If undisturbed, any water in the fuel tank will eventually form into a bubble. Once underway, there is enough constant agitation to break up this mass of water and disperse it throughout the fuel so that its effects are minimal. The symptom comes and goes because it depends on the attitude of the vehicle (which, of course, determines where the H2O bubble is with respect to the fuel pickup) and the amount of time the H2O has had to amass. Even stopping at a long light is, with the right gradient, enough time.

If all else fails, this may be something to check. It was my experience that all else did fail. If you find this needs to be checked, the surefire, pain-in-the-ass procedure is to drop the tank, plug all the penetrations (if I remember correctly, there are 6), then put some pressure to it. If the tank is perforated, it will not require very much pressure to show it. You might be able to test it in situ if you can pinch off all the hoses. All Vanagon owners know how to crimp-off a hose (that is "crimp-off" as a pipefitter would use the term which means to stop the flow from a hose without the benefit of a valve).

Richard