Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:35:53 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Uncooperative Starter

Last time this happend to me it was the ignition switch. To check it remove the steering column cover and the next time it won't start pull the plug and jump the two heavy (10 guage) red wires by inserting a piece of wire into the proper plug contacts. If the starter cranks, it is probably an intermittent switch. You could also try pushing the plug in firmly and holding it while you crank. Costs less than $15 at the dealer, but requires a puller to remove the lock housing and some drilling to replace the switch.

P.S., the FI comes on with the switch in the "on" position, so it still could be a bad switch in the "start" position. > > On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, Brad Anderson wrote: > > > This weekend, on three seperate occasions, my starter wouldn't do its thing > > when I turned the key. > > > > * The first time I figured it was the ignition tumbler because there > > was no sound from the rear when the key hit the 'start' position. Sliding > > under the van and checking the connections at the starter resulted in > > nothing. I tried my back-up key and the van started. > > * The next day, while hurrying to catch a ferry, it happened again. > > This time, my buddy who was standing at the rear, said he could hear the > > fuel injection system switching on when the key hit the 'start' position. He > > threatened sliding under the van to tap the starter, but just then the van > > started (with my regular key) and we were on our way. We presumed the threat > > was what did it. > > * Then, after the ferry docked, again no start. As you can imagine, I > > threatened up and down, while trying both keys, as angry motorists and > > Washington State Ferry System deckhands observed. After being pushed off the > > ferry by one of those cool little tractors, I bump started it while coasting > > down the ramp. > > > > Long story short, twice later that night the van started with no issue as it > > did this morning. Is this situation the precursor to a starter crapping out? > > Is there anything else I should be checking or testing? > > > > Thanks in advance for your replies! > > > > > [Brad Anderson] > > > 87 Vanagon Syncro > > > 87 Golf GL > > > >

Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext 208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://www.cobaltgroup.com http://www.casedealer.com/demo http://www.caseihdealer.com/demo