Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:41:09 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: laptop log on
Comments: To: Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US>

Jim, These days there are campgrounds in some areas with internet hook ups. They vary from one line in the office to individual lines at camp sites. There are campground listings on the internet that help you locate the campgrounds that offer internet connections. One of the web sites is: http://www.gocampingamerica.com/ These are usually highly improved campgrounds that motorhomes tend to frequent. Not the kind of places I like to stay at. Personally, I have a lap top/cell phone set up where I can use my cell phone to get email. Cell phones are not fast enough to connect to the web... only email... and even then it can be pretty slow if the connection is bad... and expensive. If you want to pursue this, the way it was done about two years ago was this: 1. Call the maker of your modem and ask them which cell phones they offer connector cables for. (The connector cable from the modem to the cell phone is the key. Each modem maker only makes them for certain cell phones.) 2. But a cell phone that will work with one of the cables that the modem maker offers (if your current cell phone does not qualify). 3. Practice getting your email in your home area before you leave on your trip. It can be tricky and expensive to learn on the road.

Note: last time I checked computers could only connect over analogue cell phones; not digital phones... and indeed, most places outside the large cities do not have digital transmissions anyway.

Good Luck Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Jim Fritz <jfritz@DECORAH.K12.IA.US> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, July 20, 1999 9:04 AM Subject: laptop log on

Volks, Will be leaving soon for our trip and want to stay connected via laptop with the list. The big question I have is: where do you go to get a phone line connection to log in. I'm trying to avoid motels like the plague (thats why we buy the Westy isn't it?!) Are campgrounds willing to let you hook up to their phone lines? If you don't have AOL or some other 800 number access (I'll need to call back long distance with a calling card to access our server) how do you make it all work....especially with a credit card? My cell phone won't work for any modem hook-up. Have any of you ever used one for modem hookup? What brand? What coverage? What success/failure have you experienced? I never envisioned myself glued to a listserv group until I joined this one :-) Now I'm not sure I can stand the withdrawal symptoms! (g)

TIA Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle