Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:19:17 -0300
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Results of the Diff Lock activator discussion
Comments: cc: syncro@onelist.com

First of all, my thanks to the three of you who responded to my question regarding the use of a door/trunk lock to activate the syncro's rear diff-lock.

Your answers/suggestions/solutions are below. Eric and Tim can "p-mail it out" as to whether a soleniod will or will not work. As for me, I like Tim's & Eric's (2nd) idea of a cable (see below). I assume Tim's idea could be modified in several ways to work with the existing housing for the Diff-lock activator. Also with the cable, there is a slot in the cable knob (up at the dash) so that it could be slotted down in a U holder to keep the pressure on the spring back at the rear diff, we could even use the intention in the existing front knob shaft.

Tim, as you and I close, if you ever get around to 'making one' I'd love to come up for the weekend and participate. Malcolm S

Eric <<vw4x4@fyi.net> Just as a sent this last post I thought of something: A cable manually operated with a lever on the dash would work.

Dr. Rainer Woitok" <<woitok@rrze.uni-erlangen.de> Why then do you bother? A new diff lock actuator is approximately DEM 30.00 at your local VW dealer (at least here in Germany :- ).

From: Tim Smith <<smitht@unb.ca> Have you tried to find some Jetta/Audi door locks? It takes very very little force to engage the diff lock if the shaft is well lubricated. And it will almost disengage by itself (fail safe I presume) Under rear seat of the Audi's is an air pump, so push/pull is possible, just install the pump up by the dash near the vac lines. The pump switch direction would determine locked/unlocked. The thing is, any system that requires constant 'on' conditions, like keeping the diff locked, will draw current (for pump or servo) all the time. For instance ARB AirLockers require a pump, it is common approach. The use of vacuum is best, constantly available via engine, and the 3-balled reservoir makes sure there is enough for a good pull always.

Installation of a stronger return spring outside the shaft on the trans would mean good disengagement and no need to have pump/servo switched 'on' except when actually locked, and then only likely for short durations. I don't know if the one-sided Jetta/Audi door lock servos could simply be drilled to accept a vac line on the opposite side of the diaphragm to allow normal Syncro type push/pull installation. Or if they'd even need to with a return spring in place. Worth looking into that aspect since those servos are almost free at the junkyards. Made by VDO, in the same colours even!

Other option is a pure cable system. BUT... you can't have a 'solid' cable from dash to locker. You need the cushion that the vac system offered, so your cable would need to have a stiff spring with about 1" of travel worked in somehow. Pull out and lock the cable and the spring puts some steady load onto the locking shaft. When dog clutch is lined up after some wheelspin then the spring would contract, pushing the lock on. Simple return spring around shaft would do fine to unlock.

<FontFamily><param>Courier New</param> ^ cable, pull to lock

|---| |

--\| | /

shaft| | / spring

--/| | /

| | /

pivot| o |--------o-|

The more I look at this the more I like it! Especially after having both locks die part way through last winter. HTH, Tim