Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:31:04 EDT
From:         David Priemer <DPriemer@AOL.COM>
Subject:      I hope it's just the pilot bearing

Was: PILOT BEARING GONE BAD?

Sorry Vanagoneers,

I don't think I described the symptoms well enough this morning (done in haste before leaving for work). So here is a better description as to what has happened so far.

I noticed shifting problems about 3 weeks ago. Adjusted shifter, no help. Adjusted shifter so many times since that my body felt like it had been put thru boot camp all over again. Yeah, the bushings are worn and have play in them but not to the point that you cant get it to shift properly. So I dont think it is the shifter. It was shifting fine until I had to call a (==shudder==) tow truck (the company I work for paid the tow since I was using it on the job. Nice of them huh?).

While I was approaching the job sight I came to a stop sign and was not able to get the van out of 3rd gear. After waving several cars on and wrestling with the shifter it finally popped out of gear but the force I applied jammed it into 4th gear. After some more waving cars on and wrestling with the shifter to no avail I decided to go the one last block to the job site (in 4th gear, ugh). So I nursed the clutch and began my left turn and it felt as if the clutch and pressure plate where not aligning as the van reluctantly bucked forward inch by inch gaining a little speed each time. I made the corner (and some drivers mad as they had to wait on me) and started straight down the road but with less bucking. Fearing that I might damage the tranny/clutch I pressed the clutch petal to the floor and coasted to the job site (slight down hill) and into the parking lot at such an angle as to be able to back into a spot. Well, I did not plot my angle very well and fought with the shifter for a few minutes until I got it into reverse and then tried to back in. Again the bucking action and a fearful feeling enveloping me that "oh, @#$%, my tranny is locked up" (bucking some in 4th gear from a dead stop I can understand, but not in reverse). So I decided what the hell, gave it the gas and backed up. Here is where the angle comes in. A cement parking stopper thing setting parallel to where I want to put the van is lined up on my back tire telling me that I cant park there (looking back now I could have moved it out of the way as it was not bolted down). So I fight with the shifter again (cursing under my breath) and finally get it into 3rd, damn, I want 1st, fight again, stuck in 4th, fight, reverse, fight, 1st, victory (the sequence is actual longer than this but my feeble mind cant remember it all). I inch my crippled van forward, no, it wont go, like the tranny is jammed in reverse. No guts no glory. Gave it the gas and it bucks and lets loose and YES im going forward in 1st, all right. Ok now I have a better angle on that parking spot. Again, the dreaded fight with the shifter for reverse and finally I am in the parking spot. Off to get the job done I was sent to do.

I remove my tie and crawl under the van in my nice white dress shirt (thinking my wife is going to like this-not, I did at least have an old throw rug to lay on) and inspect the shifter. All looks fine. Fight with the shifter some more and after realizing that I have been defeated in all my attempts to find a way to get into neutral, reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear so I could get home, I hung my head low and called my boss and breathed the dreaded words "I need a tow!".

When shifting the gears do not go in smoothly. Eventually I can find a point (more like force to a point) where it will go into 1st smooth but then gnash going into 2nd, etc.

It is the shifting, bucking and on occasion smooth clutch action that has lead me to believe that it is the pilot bearing binding. The Canadian rebuild engine was installed before I bought the van and was reported to have had 27000 miles on it. I have logged 6000 on it (about that anyway). After searching the archives I think that the pilot bearing did not receive the attention it should have when the engine was installed thus leading to premature failure and my tow home. After investigating the shop that did the engine replacement (with totally chewed up Bosch spark plug wires, resistance still in range however, now has new ones on it) it is very likely that they paid no mind what so ever to the pilot bearing. It seems that they do as little as they can get away with and charge top dollar for it.

When the van is in neutral, on blocks the rear wheels will not turn without trying to turn the engine. But if you push the clutch in, they turn freely. With the rear wheels on the ground, engine running, tranny in neutral, letting up on the clutch, the van tries to move and you here a buzzing like sound from the tranny/engine area (dont have anybody around to help that I trust to keep there foot on the brake while letting up on the clutch while I am laying under the van so I can tell where the sound is coming from).

I am hoping that the pilot bearing has given up doing its job but has not seized.

But hey, what do I know, Im just a newbie who has been lurking and learning as I go! Experts, what say you?

David - down in Morgantown 83.5 Vanagon GL 1.9L Gas (my only vehicle) driving the company car @ 20.2 cent a mile, uhg