Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:30:33 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: New Motor completed, leaks oil, burns, smoke fills cockpit,
              recovers!!!
Comments: To: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

This sounds like the intelligent version of a little incident that occurred when I started up my rebuild for the first time, about three years ago. I had put in a similar obsessive amount of work, painting tin and engine block, getting balancing done (but I couldn't find a counterbalanced crank at the time -- good for you!), and the whole endless process of getting the engine apart, the heads and cam shipped off to California, etc..

So I've been dutifully following the Tom Wilson method of cycling the rpm's for the first 8 hours of operation, taking about an hour a day out in the garage with my hand on the throttle. I've changed the oil twice during this period, and now am doing the final oil change before driving it. Hanging out with a friend, exulting over the success of the rebuild, drain the oil, dump in the three and a half quarts of new oil, jump in and start the engine, it purrs, wander back to the engine bay still talking, go to remove the oil bucket from underneath the engine and boy does it look full. OH SHIT! I forgot to put in the drain bolt. All the oil has run directly from the fill tube directly out the drain hole and into the bucket! RUN to the front, kill the engine which has been running close to a minute on no oil.

As far as I can tell, no damage was done. But gawd was I a nervous wreck.

I wish that was the end of your story, I don't even want to hear the part about burning... :(

Gary

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Bulley wrote: > Our new bigger Vanagon motor (for our 1982 Westy) hit the street 8:10 p.m. > Saturday evening. I wish I could say it was uneventful. Everything in my > life is normally full of drama and excitement, so why shouldn't starting my > new expensive motor follow suit? > ... > So there I sit, head in my hands, praying about what to do next, as I hear > little drops of oil trickling off the various formerly cleaned engine > parts. Then it hit me...It couldn't be anything I had done, because I > really did go straight by the book...so what does that leave? One thing. > The oil filter. I quickly removed the oil filter, and SURE ENOUGH, the > intake holes were semi-occluded with assembly grease, and the seal was > blown out of its seat. KEWL!!!!